Scrapbustin'

Hello, hello! Welcome to my newly re-named blog (formerly Secret Ingredient: Love). I was never completely crazy about that old name, and, as hubby told me, it always suggested a cooking blog, rather than one primarily about sewing with a bit of baking thrown in. When I started thinking about how much I'd like to get back to blogging, partially for a bit of encouragement to get my sewing machine out more often, I decided I'd change things up a bit. 'Dilettante' seemed a really apt word to apply to myself as both a sewer and a blogger, as I'm an amateur and fairly casual about both hobbies, so here we are... The Sewing Dilettante! Bear with me as I transition fully into this new blog; I'll be keeping the old email address for the time being but am linking to a new, blog-specific Instagram account: thesewingdilettante.

Since my youngest little'un was born in November 2015, I've been doing the odd bit of patchwork and embroidery, but it feels as if I'm only really getting the chance to get back into some more regular sewing now, nearly 18 months on! This week, I'm determined to gain a little control over my scrap box and have been sizzix-ing my way through the largest of the pieces, turning them into 2.5" squares or 1" hexies. I've got a sizable pile of each now, and the jumble of colours and patterns - not to mention my tidier scrap box - is making me smile.



While I could productively spend several more evenings doing this, the 2.5" squares got me thinking about a scrap-busting log cabin project, along the lines of this baby quilt I made a couple of years ago (probably my favourite make ever). Instead of traditional log cabin blocks, though, I'm going for wonky quarter log cabins, using red or pink foundation squares and a mix of brightly-coloured scraps.





I've got six 12.5" blocks finished and reckon I'll need 20 for a decent-sized cot quilt.



It's intended for a gorgeous baby girl born earlier this year, but I'm going for a riot of rainbow colours, not just the traditional pinks, creams, and pastels.


I can't wait to make some more!

xx Tina

Comments

  1. Love the new look blog! And as scrap loving girl, your log cabin blocks are gorgeous too! It's going to be one colourful quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Fabric-y Fun this Saturday

Almost there...

Almost there!