Teeny, tiny hexies

In my dream home, I'm going to have the most beautiful sewing room, where I can have all of my fabric neatly displayed, my machine permanently set up, and an ironing board and iron ever at the ready. Until that day comes, I have to make do with the kitchen table, which means that my Pfaff and other supplies spend their days hidden away in various nooks and crannies safe from little children's prying eyes and wandering hands. They're generally liberated only at night, after the kids have gone to bed, for some post-bedtime crafting. Unfortunately, post-bedtime me doesn't always have the inclination for much more than mindless TV and a soothing cup of tea (or, depending on the day, glass of wine). This is where hand sewing comes in so... well, handy! Maybe it's the type-A personality in me, but I love to sit in front of the TV and still feel as if my time is being used productively and creatively. Multi-tasking, right?

Thanks to my furious attack on my scrapbox a couple of weeks ago, I have a generous pile of assorted 1" hexies to work on when I don't have the time or energy to pull out the sewing machine. Unfortunately, I don't have a ready supply of papers for hexies this teeny tiny, so I spent a while one evening this week cutting out a few printed sheets of 1/2" hexies. (I opted not to go for 3/4", just in case I needed a little more than a 1/4" overlap.)

Ignore the state of the coffee table. My kids and nice things don't agree. 

I'm sure there are more efficient ways of doing this, but I found this surprisingly satisfying! Once that was accomplished, I got started on my EPP and spent a really enjoyable couple of hours folding and basting.


Now I have a handful of miniscule, rainbow-coloured hexies. I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet. I had initially thought of a fun, appliqued table runner, but that was before I realised just how small these were going to be.


I'm sure I'll think of something (or many things!) for these little guys. Right now, though, I'm happy just to have a little project that doesn't require much setup or equipment and can be done while binge-watching Netflix.

xx Tina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Fabric-y Fun this Saturday

Almost there...

Almost there!